POINTS BASED SKILLED MIGRATION (INDEPENDENT SKILLED WORKER), SkillSelect – (Subclass 189) – Permanent Residency 

This is also called an Independent Skilled Worker Permanent Residence Visa – subclass 189. This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.  


Subclass 189 allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident.  Applicants who are granted subclass 189 visas are independent of Australian employers and of the state governments, i.e. they can work for whoever they want in Australia and live wherever they want.

Intending migrants first need to submit an Expression of Interest on an online service known as SkillSelect and then will need to be invited to apply for one of the new points tested skilled migration visas.

The Putt Legal team have the essential knowledge, skills and abilities to help you through the Points Based Skilled Migration process.

    Subclass 189 – Basic Requirements

    There are basic requirements you must meet to apply for these visas. You must:

    • be invited to apply
    • be younger than 45 years of age at the time of application
    • nominate an occupation that matches your skills and qualifications and is on the relevant skilled occupation list
    • have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
    • have at least competent English
    • score at least 65 on the points test
    • meet the health and character requirements.

    The Putt Legal team have the essential knowledge, skills and abilities to help you through the Points Based Skilled Migration process. 


      Once you have obtained your English test results and you have obtained a positive migration skills assessment you are able to submit an Expression of Interest 

       If your EOI is successful, you are then invited to apply for the visa.  

      If you have sufficient points you do not have to undergo an English language test if you are a UK, Canadian, US, Irish or New Zealand passport holder. Having said that, we usually recommnend that you sit a test anyway, so as to acheive a higher points score.


      The pass mark is the minimum number of points required to be eligible for points tested skilled migration visa and is subject to change in response to the Australian labour market needs – currently 65 points.  

       However, the ability to meet the points test mark will not guarantee an invitation to apply.  Currently, due to the high demand, you need to have a score of at least 90 points in order to receive an invitation.

      Application Stages 


      Invitations will be issued periodically to the highest-ranking Expressions of Interest, subject to occupation ceilings.

      If you are invited to apply, you will have to demonstrate that the claims in your Expression of Interest are correct.  

      You will then have 60 days in which to lodge your visa application from the date of your invitation to apply.

      You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application. 

       Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest as at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided and be supported by relevant evidence. 

      In addition to the necessary documentation, you will be required to pass the health and character requirements that are applicable to all Australian permanent visas. 


      Applicants who require a skills assessment as part of their visa application must contact a relevant assessing authority directly to obtain a skills assessment before they lodge their visa application. 

       The assessing authority will provide all necessary applications forms and associated information relating to the assessment.

      There will be a charge payable to the assessing authorities for the skills assessment.


      You must nominate an occupation that is on the Medium to Long Term Skilled Occupation List. 


      You need to have at least competent English language skills – or be the holder of a passport from the UK; USA; Canada; the Republic of Ireland or New Zealand.  

       Even if you are the holder of a passport from one of these countries it is often a good idea to sit an English test for the additional English language points. 

      English testing companies are IELTS, PTE, TOEFL and CAE.



      Putt Legal are your specialists in Immigration Law. We can assist you in making your migration to Australia seamless.

      The Australian visa process can be complex and confusing; our lawyers work with you to guide you through every step of the way.

      We are highly qualified and experienced in immigration law matters and are committed to providing expert advice in every individual case.

      Work Visas

      Coming to Australia to work? We can help!

      Visa Refusals & Cancellations

      Has your visa been refused or cancelled? Time is short! Let our expertise guide you.

      Legal Assistance for Migration Agents

      If you'd like us to advise or help you with a difficult case, arrange an appointment. 

      Family Visas

      Are you looking to bring a child, parent or relative to Australia? We can help!

      Partner & Spouse Visas

      Are you looking to bring your partner or spouse to Australia? We can help!

      Appeal against Adverse Migration Decisions

      If you require help with an appeal against an adverse migration decision (refusal or cancellation), we can help!

      Talk to our friendly immigration team today!

      Pin It on Pinterest