Partner and Spouse Pathways

Are you in a relationship with an Australian citizen or a permanent resident?

Is that person willing to sponsor you as their partner?  Are they eligible to sponsor you?

Do you have enough evidence to prove that you are in a genuine and committed relationship?

Have you been with your de-facto partner for more than 12 months?

Can you also meet the health and character criteria?

The Partner visa process is not as straightforward as it looks!

Do not apply without getting advice first.  The processing period is very lengthy and the visa itself is very expensive.  It is simply not worth making a costly mistake.


Each different type of partner visa has different eligibility requirements. 

  • You must be the spouse (married), de facto partner or fiancé of an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. 
  • You must have a sponsor who is your partner or prospective spouse. 
  • Meet the health requirement. 
  • Meet the character requirement. (Your sponsor must also pass a character test.) 
  • Must be 18 years old or older when applying for any of these visas. 
  • Have repaid or arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian government. 
  • Meet the individual eligibility requirements for each visa. 


Obtaining a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801 or 100) is usually a two-stage process. To be eligible, you must first be granted a temporary partner visa (subclass 820 or 309).

You apply for both the permanent and temporary visas at the same time and pay only one fee. If you are granted the temporary visa, you are eligible to be assessed for the permanent Partner visa two years after you lodged your application. You will need to provide further documents for this later assessment. 

If you have been in a long-term relationship (as defined by Australian migration law) when you lodge your application, the permanent visa may be granted immediately. 

In all cases, you will need to provide a substantial amount of relationship evidence in support of your application. There are very strict requirements!  

Partner Visa Pathways

Temporary Partner Visa (Subclass 820 & 309)

Register interest for Subclass 820 or 309 here. Let our experts guide you.

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

Register interest for Subclass 300 here. Let our experts guide you.


It is not enough to simply state that you are married or you have been in a de facto relationship for 12 months. There are  substantial requirements as to the proof of the relationship, and we can advise you how to meet these requirements.

There are sponsorship limitations if you have previously sponsored partners, or you have been granted a contributory parent visa or you have relevant criminal convictions.

There are long waiting periods for partner visa applications.

You must receive correct and clear-cut advice for your specific situation. 

We are here to help.

Bring your Partner to Australia


Putt Legal are your specialists in Immigration Law. We can assist you in making your migration to Australia seamless.

The Australian visa process can be complex and confusing; our lawyers work with you to guide you through every step of the way.

We are highly qualified and experienced in immigration law matters and are committed to providing expert advice in every individual case.

Work Visas

Coming to Australia to work? We can help!

Visa Refusals & Cancellations

Has your visa been refused or cancelled? Time is short! Let our expertise guide you.

Legal Assistance for Migration Agents

If you'd like us to advise or help you with a difficult case, arrange an appointment to speak with Jessica Edis.

Family Visas

Are you looking to bring a child, parent or relative to Australia? We can help!

Partner & Spouse Visas

Are you looking to bring your partner or spouse to Australia? We can help!

Appeal against Adverse Migration Decisions

If you require help with an appeal against an adverse migration decision (refusal or cancellation), we can help!

Talk to our friendly immigration team today!

Pin It on Pinterest