When a person is granted a permanent visa, they have the right to remain indefinitely in Australia. However, the visa has a finite travel facility attached to it. Once that lapses – usually five years from the date the visa was first granted – then you no longer have permission to travel in and out of Australia. And this could result in you being stranded overseas! 

A re-entry facility is granted automatically with all permanent visas. Once this re-entry facility expires, the person must have a ‘return visa’ before they are allowed to re-enter Australia. 

Permanent residents intending to travel overseas, or who are abroad and are planning to return to Australia, should check that their last permanent visa is still valid for re-entry to Australia. If not, they will need to apply for a Resident Return visa. 

Former Australian permanent residents, and Australian citizens who have lost or renounced their Australian citizenship, can also apply for Resident Return visas and resume their permanent residence status in certain circumstances. 


The Return (Residence) (Class BB) subclass 155 visa – this is a permanent visa with a multiple-entry travel facility of either 12 months or 5 years.

The Return (Residence) (Class BB) subclass 157 visa – this is a permanent visa with a multiple-entry travel facility of 3 months.



    Eligibility Rules

    The eligibility rules for Resident Return visas vary according to how long the applicant has actually lived in Australia and how long they have spent outside Australia at the time of application. 

    Permanent residents who remain overseas for more than five years at a time may not be able to get another Resident Return visa. Such applicants must show that they have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties with Australia and that they have ‘compelling reasons’ for their absence from Australia, or they will lose their permanent residency. 

    Without a Resident Return visa, they cannot re-enter Australia on a permanent visa. If they are granted an alternate visa (for example, a visitor visa) to enter Australia, their permanent visa will cease to be in effect by operation of section 82 of the Migration Act. 

    A person who has lost their permanent residency and who is unable to qualify for a Resident Return visa and who wishes to return to live in Australia will have to apply again to migrate. To succeed the applicant must meet all the relevant criteria for a permanent visa. 

    Unlike other visas, a person does not have to be ‘usually resident’ in Australia to be a permanent resident for the purposes of a Resident Return visa. 

    Applicants for the Resident Return subclass 155/157 visa who have spent less than two out of five years in Australia before making their application will be granted a visa valid for only one year or 3 months. 

    Such applicants still have to meet the ‘close ties to Australia’ criteria. 

    Departmental Policy 

    Departmental policy is now as follows: 

    • to obtain a five-year visa, physical presence in Australia is required. The applicant must have been physically present in Australia for a total of at least two years in the last five years and during that time was a permanent resident who did not hold a temporary visa (other than a border visa or an ETA) or a bridging visa: see clause 155.212(2) of Schedule 2 of the Migration Regulations. 
    • to obtain a one-year visa, substantial ties with Australia are required. The applicant must have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties which are of benefit to Australia and have not yet been absent from Australia for five years or more unless there are compelling reasons (see clause 155.212(3)(a)and 155.212(3)(b) for offshore requirements and clause 155.212(3A) for onshore applicants). 
    • if the applicant is a ‘member of the family unit’ of a person who has met/meets clause 155.212(2), 155.212(3) or155.212(3A), then the applicant is to be granted a resident Return visa with the same validity as the Resident Return visa held by their family head: see reg 1.12. 


    Family Members

    Each family member must make a separate Resident Return visa application, pay the government charge and meet the primary criteria. 

    However, the primary criteria for a Resident Return visa are designed to allow the visa to be granted to a person who is an Australian permanent resident, a former resident or citizen, and who is a member of the family unit of a person who has been granted a Resident Return visa (which is still in effect), or who has applied for one and meets the other criteria for that visa. 

    Health and character 

    Applicants for a Resident Return visa do not have to pass the health test again. However, the “character test” does apply and section 501(1) of the Migration Act gives the Minister power to permanently refuse or cancel a Resident Return visa on character grounds. 


    Review Rights

    If a person applied for a Resident Return visa while in Australia and the visa was refused, they have the right to have that decision reviewed by the AAT. 

    Applicants who applied outside Australia do not usually have a right of merits review. However, if the applicant has a parent, spouse, brother, sister or child who is in Australia as an Australian citizen or permanent resident, then that relative has a right to apply to the AAT for review of the refusal decision. 

    There are strict time limits for applying for review. 



    Evidencing and re-evidencing of Resident Return Visas

    Australia does not require holders of a Resident Return visa to have physical evidence of their visa – such as a label or stamp – in their passport to enter or remain in Australia. This is because details of the visa are held on Australian immigration computer systems.  

    While many countries have access to these Australian immigration computer systems, some countries do not and will require evidence of an Australian visa in the passports of people travelling through them to Australia. If Resident Return visa holders are travelling through countries which may require an Australian visa label or stamp in passports, they should access their visa grant details via the Department’s Visa Entitlement Verification Only (“VEVO”) system. 

    This is a general overview of Australian Resident Return Visas. We encourage you to make an appointment with Putt Legal to discuss your particular circumstances. 


    Let our friendly team of migration agents assist you with your Resident Return application


    Putt Legal are your specialists in Immigration Law. We can assist you in making your migration to Australia seamless.

    The Australian visa process can be complex and confusing; our lawyers work with you to guide you through every step of the way.

    We are highly qualified and experienced in immigration law matters and are committed to providing expert advice in every individual case.

    Work Visas

    Coming to Australia to work? We can help!

    Visa Refusals & Cancellations

    Has your visa been refused or cancelled? Time is short! Let our expertise guide you.

    Legal Assistance for Migration Agents

    If you’d like us to advise or help you with a difficult case, arrange an appointment to speak with Jessica Edis.

    Family Visas

    Are you looking to bring a child, parent or relative to Australia? We can help!

    Partner & Spouse Visas

    Are you looking to bring your partner or spouse to Australia? We can help!

    Appeal against Adverse Migration Decisions

    If you require help with an appeal against an adverse migration decision (refusal or cancellation), we can help!

    Talk to our friendly immigration team today!

    Pin It on Pinterest