Child Visa – Subclass 101

Child Visa – Do you want to bring your child to Australia? 

The Child Visa (Subclass 101) is a permanent visa that allows a dependent child of an Australian citizen or permanent resident to stay indefinitely in Australia. To be eligible the applicant must: 

  • be a dependent child of a parent who is an Australian citizen, or holder of an Australian permanent visa 
  • be under 18 years, a full-time student aged over 18 and under 25 and financially dependent on the parent, or over 18 and unable to work due to a disability 
  • be single and dependent on the parent 
  • be outside Australia when the application is made and when a decision is made 
  • meet health and character requirements. 


You can sponsor a child if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and you are the child’s parent or the spouse or de facto partner of the child’s parent. 

If your child was adopted, and the adoption took place after you became an Australian citizen or permanent resident, then you will have to apply for an Adoption visa (subclass 102). 

The Department may not approve sponsorship if the parent or their partner has been charged or convicted of offences involving children. 

This is a general overview of Child Visa Subclass 101. We encourage you to make an appointment with Putt Legal to discuss your particular circumstances. 

Do you want to bring your child to Australia?


Putt Legal are your specialists in Immigration Law. We can assist you in making your migration to Australia seamless.

The Australian visa process can be complex and confusing; our lawyers work with you to guide you through every step of the way.

We are highly qualified and experienced in immigration law matters and are committed to providing expert advice in every individual case.

Work Visas

Coming to Australia to work? We can help!

Visa Refusals & Cancellations

Has your visa been refused or cancelled? Time is short! Let our expertise guide you.

Legal Assistance for Migration Agents

If you'd like us to advise or help you with a difficult case, arrange an appointment. 

Family Visas

Are you looking to bring a child, parent or relative to Australia? We can help!

Partner & Spouse Visas

Are you looking to bring your partner or spouse to Australia? We can help!

Appeal against Adverse Migration Decisions

If you require help with an appeal against an adverse migration decision (refusal or cancellation), we can help!

Talk to our friendly immigration team today!

Pin It on Pinterest