As of 1 July 2017, the immigration department changed the English language requirements in relation to:

  • the Temporary Residence Transition stream of the subclass 186 and 187 visas;

  • the subclass 187 visa; and

  • the subclass 457 visa.

From 1 July 2017 onwards, all applicants for the subclass 186 and 187 visas must now provide evidence of Competent English (unless you hold a UK, US, Canadian, NZ or Irish passport or can provide evidence of 5 years’ full-time secondary or higher education study in English).

Meanwhile, the English Language Salary Exemption Threshold (ELSET) which exempted applicants (whose salary was over AUD$96,400) from the English language requirement has been removed for subclass 457 visa applications.

If these changes affect your prospects of success, or you need to improve your English test score for a Skilled Independent Visa, then we highly recommend that you undergo English Language training before you sit your test or book another one.

If you live in Perth, we are pleased to announce that a new English Tests Training Centre has recently opened which is dedicated to helping you improve your scores on the IELTS and PTE tests.

Check out their website here or drop into their premises at Level 3,
23 Barrack Street in Perth.  

We have personally inspected the centre and met with their staff.  We do not receive any commission or other payments by recommending their services.  But if you come and see us, then we can provide you with a discount card for your course.


Putt Legal are your specialists in Immigration Law. We can assist you in making your migration to Australia seamless.

The Australian visa process can be complex and confusing; our lawyers work with you to guide you through every step of the way.

We are highly qualified and experienced in immigration law matters and are committed to providing expert advice in every individual case.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This